Independence Day

Leaving the church of Christ was a dizzying, disorienting experience, partly because I had never had such a degree of personal freedom before. The whole point of that church is restriction, and most of their doctrine is a never-ending list of dos and don'ts (mostly don'ts). In honor of Independence Day, here is my Declaration of Independence from the COC.

Since I have left the COC, I am now free of:
--harsh judgment and withering criticism,
--hypocrisy and the need to put up a false front,
--restrictions on my service to God because of my gender,
--fear of being condemned for my flaws,
--enforced conformity to a lifestyle that is wrong for me, and
--being forced to shut down my intellect in order to believe.


In turn, I am now free to:
--accept my flaws and my humanity,
--love other people openly and without reservation,
--enjoy my life without fear of condemnation,
--accept God's grace and love without hesitation,
--reach out and be active in the community, and
--explore theology without restrictions.

It's good to be free.

Comments

Search4Truth said…
Christ said, Neither do I condemn you, but he also said= go and sin no more. It is possible to carry your newfound freedom to far.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.

Popular posts from this blog

Discrepancies and Contradictions in the Bible

The Church of Christ and Its Top 5 Sermons

The Church of Christ and Rush Limbaugh