I Don't Dread Sundays Any More

I'll be perfectly honest: the whole time I was attending the COC I absolutely dreaded Sundays. When I was a kid, every Saturday night was a let-down because we couldn't do anything fun. We had to make sure our Bible lessons were done, take a bath, and get to bed early. And I spent the whole evening dreading the next day.

Sundays were extremely stressful, with Dad yelling at us to get up and get dressed so we could head to church and be there super early so we could greet everyone else. I hated it. I didn't like greeting everyone. I just wanted to be left alone. Then we had Bible class (what other denominations call "Sunday School"), which was usually excruciatingly boring, although sometimes it could be exceedingly irritating as well, depending on who the teacher was. My classmates were always obnoxious.

Then we went out into the auditorium for the actual church service, which again was boring. Even as an adult, I rarely found the sermons to be engaging or uplifting. Once in a great while we'd have an interesting guest preacher.

When we finally got out, we went home and ate. Sunday dinner was the highlight of the week, because Mom would go all out with cooking something nice. But after lunch, the rest of the afternoon was a wash because we had just a couple of hours between lunch and the time we had to head back to church for the evening service. Again, we could never go anywhere or do anything on Sundays because church ate up the whole day.

So it was back to church for evening worship, which again was boring and exhausting. I always felt drained, not uplifted or encouraged, by the end of the day. Then we'd go home and eat leftovers from lunch. And then you had to get ready for school or work the next day. I hated that routine.

Now that I've left the COC, Sundays are a pleasure. First, I go to church when I wish to do so. I do go most Sundays, but if I don't feel well or if my heart just isn't in it, I stay home--guilt free. Second, there's only one church service in the morning, and it's short and sweet, so I have the rest of the day to relax or get together with friends or just take a nap if I want to. Third, I actually enjoy the service. It's beautiful and uplifting and makes me feel invigorated and ready for the rest of my week. Now I look forward to Sundays with pleasure, not dread, and that makes the rest of my life that much more pleasant, as well.

Comments

becca said…
this sounds familiar :D
http://stairstotheroof.blogspot.com/2007/09/sunday-sunday.html
It's funny how all the congregations are separate, but we all had nearly identical experiences in the COC.
Search4Truth said…
It does sound familiar, but this is perhaps where we digress. I do not feel an obligation to go to church anymore, but I do have a desire. I have tried many churches, many denominations, and many worship styles. What it comes down to for me is a desire to be with the people of God learning the things of God. I do not expect the service to always be uplifting, sometimes it is not, but sometime we have to be brought low before we can see ourselves as God sees us. It is only there that we can see God as he is. That is the only time that we can worship Him as he is.

At the times that I have the least desire to go to church are the times when I need it most, I do not see myself as going to church to get something out of it, but to be a part of something special. Ephesians 4 talks about how we are all a part of the church and each has a purpose. I must fulfill my purpose by being there and taking a part. Perhaps I can encourage someone who needs it, Or show love or teach someone, perhaps hold someone that needs to be held.

The difference between us is perhaps on what the purpose it that we see the church is for. I see the church as being there to:
1.Worship God and show Him our love
2. The edification of the saints
So that I and others around me can grow to be more like Christ. So that I can show my love to the other members.
Usually this is an uplifting experience for me, but often and I weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice, It is depressing, until I remember the purpose for which I am called, and that being to Glorify God and enjoy Him completely.
So I do not dread Sundays as I used to, but attempt to please God in all of my doings.

Popular posts from this blog

Discrepancies and Contradictions in the Bible

The Church of Christ and Its Top 5 Sermons

The Church of Christ and Rush Limbaugh