The Church of Christ and Rules of Biblical Interpretation

Someone posted this on the ex-Church of Christ board: http://www.christistheway.com/2006/20060701c.html.

I don't have much to add except to comment that it's absolutely the truth. This is exactly how every COC I ever attended approached the scriptures. None of those congregations ever wrote it down, however. I'm amazed that this group would put this out here on the Internet for anyone to read, since these rules are usually part of the unspoken creed of the COC and are used to fluster and bamboozle anyone who dares to argue with the COC's interpretation of the Bible.

OK, I do have two comments. Rule #4, "Do Not Do "Proof Text" Study. Study to find what to believe; do not study to prove what you already believe," makes me laugh, because proof-texting is all the COC does! And rule #22, "Be willing to learn from others, but do not accept their explanations uncritically," sounds great in theory, but in practice, you'd better accept what the COC preachers and elders say without question, or you'll get yourself disfellowshipped tout suite.

The further away I get from the crazy, the crazier it seems to me. Wow. Just wow.

Comments

atrus72 said…
"But do not accept their explanations uncritically." another way to look at this, is how this has effected my marriage.

My wife is not currently attending a CoC but burns with passion to do so, and was involved with one back at her home city. I suppose my beliefs are mostly 'Cavlinist', and having grown up in a Southern Baptist church, I learned to be loving and tolorant of anyone who has an opposite opinion concerning docturne. I was taugh, and belive that salvation comes from accepting Christ because you love him, not because you fear him, which is what the CoC is, a docturne of fear and control.

To get back to my point. When ever we had bible study (we can no longer do so), and a coflicting docturn came up ,she flew into a rage, called me names, told me I am stupid, claims I never could have read the Bible, even accused me, my family, and my pastor of being possesed by demons. She even referred to herself in the 3rd person when in this state. (used 'we' in place of 'I' or 'me'). Is this normal behavior of someone involved in the CoC? The CoC is tearing apart my marriage and I feel utterly hopeless to do anything about it. I am so glad you were able to set yourself free. Godbless, and if you still do so, please pray for us. :)
Hi, atrus72. I'm so sorry that the COC is causing this rift in your marriage. The behavior you describe is a bit extreme, even for the COC. I mean, people will get irritated when you disagree about doctrine, but flying into a rage is rare. People in the COC tend to be more repressed with their emotions and will just act all stuffy and self-righteous, rather than angry.

Your wife's comments about demons are very unusual in the COC, which typically teaches that demon possession ended along with the Apostolic Era (also sometimes referred to as "The Age of Miracles"). Do you think there is something else at work here, such as depression? Not to get too personal, but has she had a physical check-up lately? I have seen some extreme behaviors in the COC, but nothing quite as violent (verbally) as what you're describing. In this case, it's possible that your wife's obsession with the COC is merely a symptom of a larger problem. I hope that you can figure out what's wrong and get some help. Good luck and Good bless!
Hi there! Nice to see your blog. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read and catch up on it sometime. Got the link from the Ex-board :)
Hey, Joseph. Good to see you here! Wow. I just realized that I haven't updated this thing since July. Such a slacker... ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Discrepancies and Contradictions in the Bible

The Church of Christ and Its Top 5 Sermons

The Church of Christ and Rush Limbaugh